Monday, June 13, 2011

Fwd: Question regarding cancer- referred by Dr. Cadena

Dear Dr. McM,

My name is Tami M and I'm a student nurse at USF. I just
returned from the CON's community nursing trip to Panama, during which
I learned my very good friend (22 yoa) was diagnosed with an
aggressive form of acute myeloid leukemia. After talking to Dr.
C, she gave me your name and said you may have some
recommendations about contacts, hospitals, or any general information.
We are in the process of finding the best place for her to receive her
care and any information or contacts you may have would be sincerely
appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Tami M
USF CON Student Nurse Semester 2

--

Tami:

I am so sorry that your friend is facing this difficult situation at
such a young age. I am happy that you are trying to help her. There is
NO QUESTION that she will get the best care at Moffitt Cancer Center;
they have teams that specialize, not just in cancer, and not just in
hematologic malignancies, but specifically in AML.

She can call the main switchboard 813-745-4673 and ask for the New
Patient Desk for Hematology/Oncology. The person who answers (or calls
her back within 24 hours) will give her an appointment. If the
appointment is more than 10 days in the future, contact me and I will
try to get her in sooner. She has no time to waste because of the
aggressiveness of her cancer.

Let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,

SMc

Susan C. McM, PhD, ARNP, FAAN

Distinguished University Health Professor

Thompson Professor of Oncology Nursing

University of South Florida

College of Nursing, MDC 22


Tampa, FL 33612


--

Dr. McM,

I cannot thank you enough for this information and your willingness to
help. Unfortunately, she currently lives in Honolulu, and although
originally she was sent home for a few weeks her WBC count skyrocketed
and she was forced to start chemotherapy immediately on Honolulu
before we had any chance to get her to Moffitt. Moffitt is absolutely
our number 1 choice so as soon as she finishes her chemotherapy (they
said she'd be in-patient for a month) and is healthy enough to travel
we want to get her here at Moffitt. Considering this won't be for at
least a month should we contact Moffitt now or wait until she Finishes
her treatment on Hawaii?

Thank you again, sincerely.

Tami

--

Is she going to live here when she finishes her Chemo in Hawaii? If
so, she should transfer her care to Moffitt when she comes back. She
does not need to fly here just to be seen at Moffitt. I am happy that
she is getting immediate treatment SOMEWHERE. In the days before we
have effective chemo for AML, these patients died in a matter of 3
weeks or so. Getting therapy quickly is URGENT!!

Let me know what I can do to help.

SMc

--

She lives in Hawaii permanently but has a lot of family in the Tampa
area. Would this mean to not transfer care to Moffitt unless she needs
further chemo or treatment since she's being treated in HI now? I'm
happy she's getting treatment as well. Her WBCs were in the 170,000s.
Yesterday they came down to 28,000! Sorry for all of my questions,
thank you again for your help.


--

No problem. If her home is in Hawaii, she should be treated there
because she is going to be so very sick as a result of the treatment.
She will need lots of family support.

SMc

No comments:

Post a Comment